Enjoy the comfort of “glamping” in a historic-style wall tent with a private deck. Relax around the campfire, and enjoy a soak in the handmade cedar hot tub.
Undivided Glacier Connections
For the group that would like to have a day on the glacier with a private guide with any combination of climbing, trekking and exploring.
Enjoy breath taking scenery and rare ice features and with your own personal glacier support team to guide you.
All of the technical gear for ice climbing and glacier travel. Includes mountaineering boots, waterproof gloves, and helmets. Boot sizes range from Men’s 4 to 14; please advise us in advance if you need a size at the large or small end of this range.
- Minimum age: 12 years
- Duration: 6-7 Hours. Trip duration is approximate and includes transportation time from MICA Base to and from the glacier.
- Cost: $999 for your private group of 1-4 people.
- We can accommodate larger parties adhering to our 4:1 guest to guide ratio. For example, book two private trips to include up to 8 guests.
*Our Private Ice Climbing fee does not include the Glacier Park Access Fee, which must be paid upon Check-In at the MICA Base. The current fee is $25 per person but is subject to change; we have no control over this access fee.*
About the Moraine Hike
We’ve learned that climbing and any technical exploring using rope systems in “the backcountry” offers a superior experience for our guests. Access to the backcountry requires a demanding 2 mile hike over uneven glacial moraine to the best climbing terrain the Matanuska has to offer.
Depending on your group’s ability and pace, this hike takes approximately an hour to an hour and a half and involves walking over loose rocks, muddy ice, and steep slopes. While strenuous, this hike allows our groups to escape the larger crowds on the lower glacier and access some of the most dramatic terrain the Matanuska has to offer.
Of course safety is our top priority so if your Guide determines that you or your group may not make it to the backcountry and return in a reasonable time the trip will be adjusted and will not include climbing or any use of ropes.
We’ll do our best to provide an enjoyable glacier experience but no refunds or price adjustments will be made.
What to Expect
- 7.5 hours of ice climbing, trekking and exploration at your group’s own pace and tailored to your interests. More exploration and less climbing, or taking your climbing to the next level.
- An introduction to climbing gear and proper climbing techniques (climbing boots, crampons, helmets and ice tools provided by MICA Guides)
- Custom instruction catered to your personal Ice Climbing goals
For The Private Ice Climb we require you to have:
- A small backpack with room for gear, if you don’t have one we have some available for you to use!
- Long Pants
- Sunglasses, we have some great options for you to borrow if don’t have your own!
- Long sleeve shirt, preferably not cotton
- Long synthetic or wool socks
- Plastic mountaineering boots are provided from mens sizes 4-14, please advise us in advance if you need a size at the large or small end of this range
Our recommendations on clothing and gear:
- Quick dry clothing (not cotton) usually a good pair of hiking pants works great, ski pants and jackets are not necessary
- Rain gear, even if it isn’t raining
- Liner gloves
- Extra warm layers
- Lunch, snacks, and water or a packed lunch
- Hiking boots if you have them (We provide mountaineering boots for climbing, but there is often an approach hike and your boots may be more comfortable.)
- Bear Spray
- Fire Arms
We recommend Planet Earth Adventures for a great package deal. (There is no public transportation to the glacier.)
Book now and you’ll receive valuable promotional codes for the following:
- Save 35% on the Extreme Zip Adventure, featuring the fastest zipline in Alaska, the G2
Why explore the Matanuska Glacier with us? Our Guides are out on the glacier every day, often on their days off! We know the best features and how to get you there while managing the risks of hiking on a glacier.
Guided adventures on the Matanuska Glacier since 1999. Go with the Pros!