Take a helicopter flight to the Matanuska Glacier then get dropped off with a professional guide to adventure into a true glacial gem, an ice cave!
Winter Helicopter Glacier Canyon Trek
Experience the twists and turns of a glacier slot canyon on the Matanuska Glacier
- Person Ages 6+
Take a Helicopter to a Slot Canyon
In partnership with Sheep Mountain Air, we are excited to offer new trips for the 2021/2022 winter season!
Have you ever wanted to experience crystal clear blue ice on a glacier? How about surrounding yourself with it? If you said yes, then this is your trip. This tour includes 15 minutes of scenic flying around the jaw dropping Matanuska Valley and 30 minutes on the ice trekking through a glacier slot canyon!
- No experience needed
- Minimum age: 6 years
- Minimum of 2 people per trip
- Maximum of 5 people per trip
Limited Availability: Because the glacier is constantly changing and it is winter in Alaska, this trip is dependent on glacier conditions and weather. If we cancel your trip due to unfavorable conditions, you will receive a full refund.
Approximately 1 hour total, 20 minutes on the glacier.
What to Expect
- Up to 15 minutes of scenic flight time
- 20 minutes exploring the ice
- Guide narration of exciting glacial features with our glacier professionals
- Instruction on proper crampon walking techniques (crampons and helmets provided by MICA Guides)
What to Bring
For the Winter Glacier Canyon Trek we require you to have:
- Your warmest winter clothing
- Gloves and Hat
- Hiking boots or winter boots
Our recommendations on clothing and gear:
- Waterproof or water resistant insulted pants (not cotton/jeans). If you don’t have insulated pants, make sure to layer.
- Waterproof or water resistant insulated Jacket, again if you don’t have all in one, layer!
- Gloves, we have some to borrow if you do not have any.
- Synthetic or wool socks
- Extra warm layers
- Snacks and water
What NOT to bring
- Bear Spray
- Fire Arms