Visiting the Matanuska Glacier
The Matanuska Glacier is in Glacier View, on the Scenic Glenn Highway approximately 2 hours from Anchorage. See the map below and our driving information at Driving Times to help plan your trip.
We are open daily during the summer for glacier trekking, ice climbing, and ziplining. While walk-in space is sometimes available, reservations are highly recommended as our glacier tours are often full. Guests should be ready to check in by their confirmed trip time, and we ask that you arrive in a timely manner. We do not wait for late arrivals.
We offer a lot of information to help plan your Alaska vacation on this page, but it is ultimately your responsibility to plan your trip, know the driving times, wake up and be on time for your tour. If you are late your trip may be cut short or you may miss it entirely. We do not issue refunds for late arrivals under any circumstances.
Please read the information below then click Book Now to book your trip or to check availabilities. Please email us to book groups of 12 people or larger.
The Day of Your Trip
Use our Driving Times to plan your trip. Times may vary greatly due to construction, or slow moving traffic. Do not rely on your GPS, directions from a friendly local, online maps or anything else to plan your trip. If you’re late, you’ll miss out!
The Glenn Highway is a National Scenic By-Way; plan to take your time and enjoy the drive.
We usually cannot wait for late arrivals and you may be charged as a “no show” if you do not make it for your trip on time.
Our parking lot can accommodate RVs up to 31 feet without much difficulty. Larger than that or 5th wheels may have trouble.
Plan to spend a day or two in this spectacular part of Alaska to enjoy glacier activities, ziplining, white water rafting, hiking, backpacking, berry picking and more.
Matanuska Glacier Access Fee
The Glacier can only be accessed through a private park. Your Glacier Access Fee is not included in our trip rates (There is no Glacier Access Fee for the Zipline). No National or State Park passes are valid for entry through the private park. Entry charge is per person and rates are subject to change at any time.
The current Adult rate is $25 and there are discount rates for Alaska Residents, Military, Teenagers and children.
Need Transportation to the Matanuska Glacier? We recommend Planet Earth Adventures for a great package deal. (There is no public transportation to the glacier.)
Dining and Accommodation
- MICA Mocha is located at MICA Guides at MP102.5, and serves deliciously caffeinated beverages, ice cream, and freshly baked goods from Glacier Creek Bakery.
- Alpenglow Luxury Camping can change how you feel about camping. Onsite at the MICA Base. A historic style canvas tent with a great view and a wood-fired hot tub.
- Matanuska Sandwich Co. offers packed lunches to take on to the glacier. Sandwiches are available to be ordered ahead of time or upon availability at MICA Mocha.
- Tundra Rose offers self-contained guest cottages and the adjoining Grandview Restaurant and RV Park.
- Sheep Mountain Lodge offers private guest cabins and an adjoining restaurant. Located 10 miles from the Matanuska Glacier at MP110 on the highway.
- Matanuska Lodge and B&B is a statement in luxury you won’t forget.
- Homestead Guest Cabins is a quiet, cozy retreat just a few miles down the road.
- Bear’s Den Cabins offers quiet comfort nearby.
What about the weather?
There is no accurate forecast for Glacier View; our weather is often quite different from even just 10 miles down the road. Glacier View is often sunny when it’s raining in Anchorage.
Do not bother worrying about what the weather will be like this afternoon, next week or next month. No one knows, and our trips go rain or shine. If you show up at our location and decide that you do not want to go on your trip because of heavy rain, you may cancel at that time with no penalty (this rarely happens). To cancel due to weather, you must be present at our location at the time of your trip. More Questions? See our FAQs.